Thursday 19 April 2012


YMCA NSW YOUTH PARLIAMENT  -    'The Training Camp'

 Over the weekend that just past I attended the YMCA’s Youth Parliament training camp, this camp was designed to get the youth members up to speed with parliamentary protocol, meet with other members , instigate bill development and most of all have fun. I attended this camp as Youth Member for Blacktown and I enjoyed breaking down the stereotypes that many uninformed people have about the heart of Western Sydney.
  1. I do not fear my life, when I walk around in Blacktown. 2 All my friends are not uneducated and 3. I have never been stabbed/raped or abused in Blacktown.....or anywhere for that matter.

I attended the camp on Saturday and walked into a seminar about parliamentary etiquette and just in time for lunch. As soon as the break was upon us, it was amazing the feeling of welcomeness I got from people I had just met. Introductions were coming left, right and centre and I loved it!

I am in the Citizenship committee and am currently working on a bill that puts in a logical and coherent system to recognise the qualifications of skilled migrants. This is a topic I hold very dear to my heart and can’t wait to nut out the nitty gritty of system.

One of the most interesting parts of the camp for me, was my opportunity to participate in a real life QandA. This after being a big fan of the ABC's QandA. As I will be putting my name in the barrel for the position of Youth Premier, I thought I should take any opportunity to make myself known to group. Hopefully through my ‘long....large....’ passion for leadership, I left a lasting imprint in everyone’s minds [=D]

Overall the camp was great! I learnt a lot and the 12 v 12 debate on the final day of camp really left me yearning for more. More debate, more policy discussion and more YOUTH PARLIAMENT! I will be eagerly awaiting the residential camp, to suit up, and step into the cauldron that is NSW parliament house!!!


Geeth Geeganage

Youth Member for Blacktown

P.S.  Big shoutout to the YMCA, they do a lot of great things for youth across Australia and indeed across the world.  Youth Parliament is just one of their many programs aimed to help make the world a better place. For more information see, ww.ymcasydney.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment